Sunday 30 October 2016

DIY Alien Costume - Easy peesy !

My daughter's school had An Alien Day 3rd week of October. All kids of Year 1 were supposed to come into school dressed up as Aliens. We knew it from before hand, so I had started looking up pinterest and google for inspiration.

Honestly I got a lot inspirations online, but trust me, either they were too creative for me or out of budget. I didn't want to spend more than 5$ on this costume, because it would be useless after this day.

I tried coming up with a few ideas by using some items that I had lying at home - guess what ... it was an epic fail ! I sent the picture to my friends, and they were super kind to me, they suggested, I could remove the box and add something black, and remove the glitter and add something green etc etc. In a nutshell, they didn't call it bad, but gave me wonderful ideas on how I could have improved it.

An idea struck me ! I checked the pantry and found a big green garbage bag (we had bought it from IKEA) and this is what I came up with.


Items I used for the dress
- Green Garbage Bag
- Her black old Abaya
- Silver duct tape
- Scotch Tape

I cut slight opening for the sleeves and neck and made her wear the bag. I ensured to also cut out some plastic from the bag so air could pass and she doesn't feel hot.

For the mask I used
- Black paper
- Silver sticker sheet
- Egg shaped Styrofoam
- Plastic Eyes
- Elastic

I drew the mask on a piece of paper and cut out the template. Attached the silver sheet on the black paper and cut out eyes. Used a waterproof eyeliner to make the outline of eyes and eye lashes. Attached the Styrofoam eggs to wires and pasted eyes on the eggs. Stuck the wires to the back of the mask and pasted the elastic so she could wear it easily ! oh and I used foil to cover her hair!

I only spent money to buy the supply for the alien mask.

My daughter thought she looked like "Princess Alien", hence the royal smile ;)

Hope you found this helpful

No comments:

Post a Comment